Girls, we like our products. And we're always in search of that next cosmetic miracle. None of us has the funds to try every new product that gets our attention, so here are the observations I've made on various beauty products I've tried. Hey, if it helps one person save a buck or snag that soon-to-be-treasured beauty breakthrough, my job here is complete. Cosmetic junkies, unite!

Monday, January 25, 2010

About Face

Starting with our base layer, foundation is key.  Well, it's the foundation...literally.  The options are limitless;  it all depends on your skin type and the coverage you're looking for.  I tend to switch around based on what I'm doing that day, how my skin's acting, and where I'm headed.

Many folks like Bare Minerals Powder Foundation for lighter coverage, to even skin tone, and because it's quick to apply.  I used this foundation for about 2 years, and I still break it out every now and then.  I especially like their new matte foundation, and sephora is giving away a 10-day supply with every order if you enter "bematte" as an offer code at checkout.  The only disclaimer I'll give is that you'll probably still want a cream or liquid concealer for undereye use and spot treatment. 

In the past few years, I've opted for tinted moisturizer instead of "foundation".  I've tried a few that I'd recommend (and still use).  Laura Mercier  has one that's a Sephora best seller (it comes in regular and oil-free).  It offers light coverage and lasts all day.  I like the way it evens my complexion (I'm a bit blotchy at baseline) and smooths my skin texture.  The second one I'd recommend is a bit of a multi-tasker, and it should be because it's a little pricier.  A lady at Sephora introduced me to Hourglass's tinted moisturizer (shown below), and she promised it would even my skin tone, provide medium coverage, and fill in lines.  It has hyaluronic spheres that plump your skin throughout the day.  It really is impressive in that my skin looked just as full hours after application instead of dried out and patchy as it has with other makeup.  And it lasts forever.  My current bottle I bought back in September, and I'm barely halfway through it.


Before the summer I found what I believe to be the BEST bang for your buck in terms of foundation.  This foundation gives full coverage, stays on FOREVER, and has Coenzyme Q10 in it.  It genuinely improved the overall condition of my skin.  It is a heavier coverage, so if you like it light, this is not for you.  But if there's a wonder drug for face (for only $18), this is it.  It is DHC's Q10 cream foundation, and you may not even need concealer after this guy.  Sometimes I use this as concealer around the eyes when I want lighter coverage on the rest of my face.  It's some fabulous stuff.  The Q10 formulation comes in a liquid with lighter coverage and a moist color base (for complexion help and UV protection), but I haven't used those.  


After applying foundation and concealer (which I'll cover in a future post), I always finish with Bare Escentuals Mineral Veil and have done so for years.  It is the perfect ending to set your foundation, take care of shine, and minimize the appearance of pores.  I apply it prior to complexion enhancers (bronzer, highlighter, etc.) and blush.  It's like a clean slate upon which to place your color.

I'd love to hear what y'all think about these or other foundation ideas.  Feel free to shoot any questions or suggestions my way as well.  I hope this helps make yours a happy face!

No comments:

Post a Comment